Day Camp for Children with Special Needs
Since 2012 we have offered a day camp with swim therapy, arts and crafts, music, sports and health education for children and young adults with special needs from about 10 different villages within the Municipality of Villanueva. The camp is a time for making friends, stretching confidence and abilities, and having fun. It also provides the opportunity for mothers and caregivers to develop support groups and for our physical therapist volunteer and our physical therapy scholarship student to work with the attendees who have physical problems. Community volunteers from the area as well as volunteers from the USA join together to put on this two-week camp, usually held at a ranch facility that is donated by a local rancher.
The camp is organized to provide each special needs student and his/her caregiver with two days of activities, grouped according to age and need. Everyone attending is provided transportation and meals.
Major Milestones and Goals:
- 2015 – Yesenia Hernandez, a special needs teacher/coordinator, was assigned by the Ministry of Education to our day camp, initiating new programs and helping us reach more students with special needs in the area.
- 2016 – Increase the number of children served in 2016.
- Over 50 special needs students were served, each attending 2 of the days of camp, accompanied by their parent or other caregiver.
- Two days of the camp were dedicated for hearing impaired students with a community teacher of sign language.
- We brought Braille materials for the teacher of visually impaired students.